I wrote a post about the growing industry of online creativity, particularly the comedy business in Nigeria, about 2 months ago, and I mentioned some names like Mc lively, Bro. Shaggi, Omo Ibadan, Ankara Gucci, Twyse and others as folks doing greatly with tons of followers then someone pointed my attention to a young lady called Taaooma as one of the best. See the post here
He felt Taaooma missing in the list is an anomaly, then I went to check her out and what I found was raw mind blowing creativity at best. Well, I wanted to know more about the girl so, I did a little research about her and these are 5 Interesting things that caught my attention.
- Taaooma Biography: Her real name is Apaokagi Adedoyin Abisola Maryam, a native of Ilorin Kwara State, who grew up there and had her primary Education at Dola-star school Ilorin. When her family moved from Ilorin to Abuja, she went to Rahinna School, Abuja, the had a short stint at FGGC Bwari Abuja and also schooled briefly at Namibia. She graduated from Kwara State University, with a Bachelor’s degree in Tourism and Hospitality Management in 2019 currently undergoing her youth service scheme in Lagos State.
- Foray into Online Comedy & Relationship: She has disclosed in many interviews that her comedy talent was discovered by her boyfriend (Abdulazeez Greene Oladimeji A.k.a Abula) in School, who was then into cinematography now a filmmaker while she acts. So, bigger credits goes to the guy for turning a raw talent to gold.
3. Uniqueness & Character: She acts three characters like what most other online comedians do, using a family theme of a father, mother called ronke by her husband and Iya tao by Taaooma herself. The usual general description is a no-nonsense typical Yoruba mother who uses slaps to correct her daughter at every slightest mistake. The slap comes with a thunderous video effect that could make you feel for the poor girl – Tao. What makes taaooma comedy more interesting and unique for me is the research that goes into her skit, which is noticeable from her punchlines of acting that blends with relatable things. E.g In a comedy, Iya tao was seen saying Tao, you’re now Otedola daughter abi? Copying when you’re not DJ – Cuppy. Lol
4. Growth So far: She started comedy in 2015, and in less than 2yrs of active comedy business, she has done lots of Ads skits for many brands, ranging from banks to pharmaceutical companies to many startups, and has been interviewed by top media houses, from Belanaija to the recent one with Ebuka of BBnaija on his Channels TV Programme, Rubinminds.
5. Followers: Currently taooma has close to 700k followers on Instagram, and 166k followers on Facebook which are best two links to enjoy her comedy. She also has a considerable number of about 48k subscribers on her YouTube channel.
I hope someone starts loving taooma comedy after this? Lol.
For Facebook. Click here
For Instagram Click here
To subscribe to her YouTube channel click here