The Supreme court verdict on the last Bayelsa State governorship Election no doubt, did took every by storm, or should I simply say shocking and surprising.
Yes, many don’t see it coming. And reactions have continued to trailed this development.
Indeed, this looks like a very special case that will serve as precedents to very many other electoral matters in the nearest future.
In recent times, the apex court decisions have come with all manners of disbelieve, as to the possibility, but as they say, “Law is Law”. We have seen cases where parties fielded a wrong candidate after primary election who later won the general election, but was challenged and winner upturned. The River State case is there.
More recently, the IMO state case also reveals that votes cancelled can be bigger than the total winning votes declared by INEC as the winning votes.
Now Bayelsa is here to learn from, where a deputy Governorship candidate who was alleged to have provided false information to INEC caused the real governor to be thrown out of office.
Interesting times right? Smiles.
But then there are few things to know. A guy asked Who is this bad luck running mate that caused a party and a governor their seats and mandate they publicly won? This is indeed a bad luck. Lol
I took my time to read more about this Deputy Governor in waiting and these are 10 things I find out about him.
- His name is Senator Degi Eremienyo Biobarakuma. He was born 60yrs ago in a fishing community called Wangaghakiri in Nembe Local Government of Bayelsa State.
2. He claimed to hold a first school leaving certificate in 1976, WAEC in 1984, a Bsc Agric Economics & Extension from RSUST and an MBA from Same school.
3. His profile online showed he worked briefly with a Pan African Bank and later became a ward Councillor right after his Bsc in 1990.
4. He became the Vice Chairman of Nembe Local Government and subsequently the Chairman in 1999.
5. He became the Hon. Commissioner for Rural development, local government and chieftaincy affairs under President Goodluck Jonathan administration as Bayelsa State Governor.
6. He was later made the Commissioner for Health in the state. (This is surprising – someone with no experience in medical field made a commissioner for a sensitive office as Health )
7. Until his Deputy Governorship race, he was the sitting Senator representing Bayelsa East Senatorial District and was made the house Vice Chairman on Gas Resources and Special duties in June 2019.
8. He was sacked by a sitting judge of Abuja High Court – Justice Inyang Ekwo 3 days to the state general election in what the Judge perceived and termed as a presentation of forged certificate as the reason for his sack. The Judge proved that even though Degi-Eremienyo provided an affidavit from a court on those mismatch names which he claimed to have been sheer errors and misspelled names from the certificate awarding institutions -the right thing that he should have done is to write these institutions to correct those names. He was declared unfit to run as a running mate candidate but this court injunction was appealed and granted.
9. He was alleged to have used forged certificates simply because he provided 5 Certificates carrying different names to INEC during Party Candidacy Interest registration. His form CF001 submitted to INEC shows that his FSLC carries the name Degi Biobaragha while his WAEC carries Adegi Biobarakumo. His First degree on the other hand also carries another different name with Degi Biobarakuma while his masters degrees reads Degi Biobarakuma Wagangha. And in contrary to all this mismatch names, the form he submitted to INEC gives a name that reads, Degi-Eremienyo Biobarakuma.
10. Today February 13th, a Supreme court 5-man panel headed by Justice Mary Peter-Odili sacked Degi-Emenieyo and his Boss Lyon, by upholding that Abuja high court judgement and ordered INEC to withdraw the certificate of Return issued to the Gov- Elect Lyon, because it is a binding or tied mandate. The court then declares that the PDP Candidate at the last Governorship Election Douye Diri who came second at the poll be declared as the duly elected governor.
Funny right? Lol. Well history has been recorded.